Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Valentine Gift That Wasn't

I came so close to finishing this gift, but our family has been struck by a nasty stomach flu (this is after recovering from a family bought of croup). Having to prepare for my classroom Valentines party, my own kids' Valentines, my husband's Valentines and catching up on the extra laundry has exhausted me. My superwoman powers have run out and I'm just gonna have to give it to Grandma a couple of days late.  She will still love it :)

Here's the closest picture I have to a finished product (it's going to be a throw pillow).  I will update when I'm done...
 To make, I traced the kids' hands on shelf liner and cut out.  I had to remember when I was cutting that it was the outline that mattered and not the actual cut out.  I caught myself making adjustments to the cut out and thought, "Now that was dumb..."

I also placed  a heart in the middle to make a little more "Valentine-y."  Then I let the kids paint their hand  outline with fabric paint.  Keep in mind they are all 4 and under.  It was a little scary to trust them with the permanent and bright red paint, but I watched like a hawk while they each took their turn.  Phew.  No major mishaps.  A teeny oopsie from my 20 month old, but it only proves that they did do a part of this gift.

Next I am going to play with my new ruffler foot (scary looking contraption, but I can't wait to try it out!), add some red ruffles around the edges and make it into a cover for a throw pillow.  Then we will hop into the car and drive it over to Grandma's house to surprise her.  At least, that's my plan.  The twins are sure they want to keep it here, so I guess we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...