Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Story


About Me

Growing up, my family's philosophy on running was why do it?  Why would you run 26.2 miles?  We have cars for that kind of thing.

Fast forward 30 years and here I am, doing that very thing.  I have 4 kids and I started running because I saw them "doing as I do, not as I say."  How can I expect my own kids to grow up healthy if I don't take the time to live healthfully myself?  I don't want my kids to have to struggle with the feelings associated with obesity or to miss out on a single opportunity for joy.  I believe that the biggest way that they can achieve this is by living healthfully.  If they want to run when they grow up, awesome.  If another sport is their calling, awesome too.  I just want them to grasp life by the fullest.  For me, this has come through running.

Let me warn you -- I'm not one of those running bloggers with amazingly fast times.  Nope.  Before I register for a race, I check the time limit and think if I can complete the race in that much time.  I finished second to last in my first half marathon, finishing only minutes before a 65 year old man.  I was ashamed of that for awhile, but then I came around and realized that I did beat all of those who didn't even attempt it.

My life is a juggling act.  I work as a half time kindergarten teacher, I raise my 4 kids ages 7 (twins), 4 and 3.  I spend every second I can with them because I see my time with them slipping away so quickly.  This leaves cleaning the house, connecting with my husband, running my small etsy business and anything else for the evenings.  I run late at night on the treadmill, with all the kids asleep.  I cross my fingers that the little one (a terrible sleeper from the very beginning) doesn't wake up in the middle of my run and need comfort while I'm all sweaty.

Running has changed my life.  I am less stressed.  I yell less.  I'm more laid back (Pete the Cat attitude -- you should read the book if you haven't -- there's the kindergarten teacher in me).  I started doing this to be a good example for the kids.  I  keep doing it for me.

Please drop me a line if you stop by.  It helps me know that I'm not just talking to myself

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...