Saturday, January 22, 2011

Interchangeable Rosette Frame

I love to mix up my decorations for different holidays and seasons, but I don't like to store decorations. Before I make something, I always think carefully "Is this worth the storage space it will take up all year long?" When I decided to participate in the Ucreate Create with Me for the month of January and make a Rosette Frame (tutorial for the rosette frame here), I also decided to come up with something that I could use for multiple holidays. Here is the idea I came up with:

Basically, I added a piece of velcro (scratchy side) onto the frame and added the soft side of the velcro to the multiple decorations that I made. I needed something as a base for the rosette, since I couldn't glue it to the frame as the tutorial says to do so I glued the rosette to a small circle of craft foam. I taped the foam down to my crumby looking craft table, and twisted the fabric

then put glue on the sides of the rosette and kept rolling to make it extend beyond the foam. I added some leaves and then glued a small velcro (soft side) to the back of the flower.

These are the different options I created so far:
Summer??


Valentines. I created this one with craft foam and hot gluing the fabric onto the foam. Couldn't be simpler.


Not really a holiday; just love the fabric

For back to school pictures? I don't have any of the kids since we aren't there yet, but, being a teacher I have tons of these of myself with other people's kids (usually with me looking totally overwhelmed and tired). I hot glued crayons to a strip of craft foam for this one.So many possibilities...

I love this project for a number of reasons:
  • It's fast.
  • It uses my scraps (which have grown to be such a huge pile that I might lose one of the kids in there one day).
  • The possibilities are endless.
  • It doesn't take up a lot of space.
  • I can match the decoration to the picture in my frame. Especially useful with pictures of my kids in clothes I have made for them, since I can use the scraps to match, like it does in this picture of my not-so-little-anymore littlest.
Oh, yeah. I also made a little pocket to hot glue on the back of the frame to store the different decorations. I know me and our crazy life with 4 kids and I know that anything not tied down will soon be missing. The problem with the pocket is that it can only be used if I have the frame stand up, rather than hang on the wall. Hmm... have to keep thinking about that one.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Totally know what you mean with the storage too. Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...