Monday, November 18, 2013

Committing to a Full Marathon!


In my spare time, I read marathon websites.  Crazy, right?  Who reads websites for runs they aren't doing?  In cities they've never heard of?  That would be me.  I've always wanted to run a marathon.  Running my first half last year was a big step and I've repeated it 5 times already (will be 7 by they time my "runiversary" comes around).  But a full?  26.2 miles?  That's really far. 

My original plan was to run the Eugene Marathon in April.  There were a million reasons why this was perfect.  Timing worked great with my school schedule, I could show the kids my college town; everything was just falling into place.  But they changed the date to July!  Oh the heat.  I don't think it's wise for me to try my first full in what could be the hottest part of the summer.  So... back to the drawing board. 

I'm now registered and committed to running the Newport Marathon in Newport, OR in May 2014.  Honestly, I'm also signed up for the Portland Marathon in October of 2014.  I'm aware of how insane it is to sign up for your second marathon before you've run your first, but this is how I hooked myself on halves.  If I hadn't been signed up for my second, I would have stopped at my first, always feeling embarrassed that I came in second to last.  

As the date is creeping closer, I'm feeling nervous and somewhat shell-shocked.  This week, the kids have been sick, sleep has been minimal, work has been busy, Etsy shop has been busy and running has been put on the back burner.  I know this can't happen when training kicks into full gear.  Can I do this?  They say that 90% of the marathon is mental toughness.  I can see that I need to work on this...

Have you run a marathon?
How do you build your mental toughness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...