Saturday, January 15, 2011

15 Minute Valentine Rosette Wreath

We don't get much snow here so January and February are just... blah. I'm ready to move on to Valentine's Day. My girls and I created this wreath for our first decoration.

Here's how we did it:

We took sheets of felt and rolled them into rosettes. At first I cut strips and we rolled individual rosettes, but then I got lazy. Someone once told me that good mathematicians are lazy and try to find shortcuts for everything they do. I really must be a good mathematician. I couldn't see us individually rolling enough rosettes to cover the wreath, so instead, we rolled the entire rectangle of felt. I put a strip of hot glue at the end to fasten the spiral roll closed and then I cut the roll in about 1/2 inch chunks. So much faster and it worked great!

Then, I cut out a heart shape from a cereal box and had the girls color it red with a marker. We could have painted, but again with the laziness. I didn't expect any major holes to show through, so I didn't figure it was necessary and in the end it wasn't. We also made one of these for a friend and we used craft foam as the backing for hers. This was also a great option if you want it to be a bit nicer.

Not so pretty with the cardboard on the back.

Next, cover with hot glue in small sections and push the rosettes on. Fill it in tightly and squish so there are no holes.

Next, step back and examine if any places need some more.

Now attach 2 pieces of ribbon with hot glue on the back, tie a bow and hang. Bring on the Valentine's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...